Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

RSS Feeds


In 2013, I find that I am inundated with reading, which, for the most part, is a good thing. There is so much information at my fingertips, I feel the need to practise discerning what writings are truly the words that are essential for me to sink myself into, in any given moment. And… I am grateful for my RSS feed.
A Rich Site Summary, which is often dubbed Really Simple Syndication, allows a person to easily follow a weblog (Blog), news feed or other site, by issuing alerts or feeds of newly published items to a reader location. In this way, I can readily go to my reader service to see what’s new, choose to read a portion, or not, and link to the actual site if I want to read more.  
RSS is not new, with conflicting information about when it was actually created. What I do know is that RSS 0.90, developed by Netscape, has been around since 1999 and, that I have been using this service for a very long time and only recently, was asked how to efficiently follow many blogs.
The reader service that I use is Google® but there are many others. You need to look for the RSS symbol when you are on a blog of note, click on that icon, choose a reader service and follow the steps so as to continue following that blog. 

I hope that this brief message helps the person that was asking and if you have any questions or comments please share them here.
And of course, you can always follow this blog if you so choose.
~ Ellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment